Monday, August 20, 2012

End of Ramadan and Exercise

Fasting just ended this Saturday!  It was a loooooooooong month, but we made it through!  I can finally start working out during the day again!  ....I didn't say I would but I could!  I am sure that was the reason I wasn't working out.  Anyways an Eid Mubarak to all those fasting.  This was the first year I was not able to celebrate at home with my family, so it was a little sad not to get to go through the usual routine that included Dennys for breakfast.  But instead I chose to go through the Malyasian traditions of Hari Rayah, complete with outfit I was forced to wear but still pulled it off, by going to visit my buddy Matt's in-laws house.  So Malaysians love to wear these pajama-looking outfits for Hari Rayah, which is their celebration for the end of Ramadan.  Families choose to dress in the same color, which is probably so they can find each other after prayers.  I chose to go with a vomit-green color suit, because it was the only one I could find for really cheap.  I did happen to find some people with my same color on, and considered making it extra awkward and sitting with them and pretending to be apart of their family.  Matt's family and I had breakfast together, and I got to try some more authentic food in a day that centers around eating.  All in all it was a great experience, and I was happy to get to try something new. 

For some reason I ended up getting a lot of exercise this weekend as well.  On Saturday I went on a 10k treetop hike, that was around Singapore's reservoir.  It was so hot, but worth it because we got a ton of exercise and saw some monkeys as you may have seen in from Rachel's video.  What you didn't see however, was the group of monkeys attacking a man as we watched and stealing his bag that had trash in it.  They warmed him and ripped the bag right off his back!  It was hilarious.  They thought they had food, but it turns out there wasn't any in it.  We watched in shock and then had to walk through them as they just sat in the middle of the walkway glaring at us.  They were not afraid of people at all, and seemed intent on proving they were the boss.  I am just glad I didn't have any food on me, because I probably would have been attacked myself.

Today we took a ferry to a small island only 10 minutes from Singapore called Palau Ubin.  On the island, we rented a bike and rode around through the trails and coastline.  We got to see more monkeys, and a family of wildebeests.  This prompted some singing of the Lion King which I do not apologize for.  The island was beautiful and very hot, but it was nice to be by the coast and get more exercise.  I am pretty sure I broke the bike, which I maintain was already broken when I got it, but I retruned it without the guy checking so I am in the clear!  All in all, it was a good weekend and am looking forward to this Thursday when I head to BANGKOK!!!  More to follow...


















No comments:

Post a Comment