Monday, July 2, 2012

First day of Work!

 Hey Everybody!  Welcome back to another installment of my Singapore blog.  Today was my first day of work, and I was very excited about it.  I didn't get any sleep last night, but I attribute that to the 15 hours of sleep I had the night before.  When I got up, I went to take a shower and as I was passing the toilet area, the hostel owner made a point to show me this sign above the toilet that you see to your right----->
First off, I think size is pretty subjective and can change from person to person.  Second, I have always been under the assumption that size did not matter.  Apparently here in Singapore that is not the case.  I would like to know however, why the manager felt he needed to single me out and point out that for BIG flushes, we have to press and hold.  I must just have that look.  I am not happy about that.  Whether or not I actually needed the BIG flush, that is irrelevant and its the principle that matters.  There should be no judgements in Singapore.  After ironing my work clothes and getting all dressed up, I was ready to head off to work!  I took two steps outside and my clean dress shirt was now a soaked, wrinkled mess.  I am really glad I spent all that time ironing.  It only took me 15 minutes to get to work via Singapore's fancy train line, and I walked into the building very excited to start my new position.  It was a great start, because they had no idea
who I was when I walked in.  The lady at security was unaware I was starting today, so after 20 minutes of arguing I convinced her that I was in the right spot.  She also handed me a towel to dry off and mentioned "Oh you big guy are perspiring a lot!"  I am really glad she mentioned it, because had she not I would never have known.  I begrudgingly took the towel anyways, and went to my office.  I met my colleagues in the "Basketball task force" (Could there be a better name?) and we talked about basketball the entire day.  Not to mention there is a ping pong table, and a pop a shot machine in the office.  I think I am going to like it here.  After a round of table tennis, two more women handed me towels.  (WTF) I am pretty sure I am the only person in this damn country who is sweating because they follow me around with towels and cracks about my weight.  I feel like kevin james, when a walk from my desk to the bathroom makes me look like I was jumping rope in the attic.  My coworkers took me out to an authentic Singaporean lunch, and we feasted on squid and stingray!!  It actually wasnt that bad.  They were surprised I ate it.  Not nearly as surprised as I was.  I am going to continue to push myself out of my comfort zone and try weird food and meet new people.  I started a conversation on the train with a man for no reason today, and had he been in posession of a towel he would have given it to me because he mentioned I "looked like I was raining."  I cannot wait for more stories to tell and more fun to unfold.  I am off to my afternoon shower now, which comes before early evening shower and after mid-day shower.  Until next time, you stay classy San Diego, thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! This was really funny. Singapore is keeping it real. (This is Sharon Bryant, btw. Got the blog link from FB.)

    ReplyDelete