Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Little India!

Having experienced (and survived) my first tropical monsoon today, literally I have never seen so much damn rain and this is coming from a Southern Californian who lived in Eugene, I figured the

most logical next stop on my adventure would be to Little India (yeah thats why, it wasn't because I got lost looking for Burger King). 

So my adventure tonight was a trip to Little India!  I have never been to India before, and to be honest I never really had any desire to go.  After visiting little India however, I realized I DEFINITELY don't have any desire to go.  I have not seen a more crowded ethnic enclave in my life.  The streets were overflowing, possibly due to a food festival, which made walking through a very fun

little jaunt.  I am pretty sure that the mayor of little India hires bums to walk behind foreigners within an arms length distance and continuously cough up an inhuman amount of phlegm.  Im serious, this guy followed me for at least 6 blocks coughing up the same damn phlegm.

 I almost turned around and beat it out of him.  In addition to the post nasal drip bums, there were giant bathtubs filled with a dark black liquid lining the streets.  I passed 4 bathtubs, FULL BATHTUBS, as I was walking.  2 questions came to mind.  1- What are the bathtubs doing in the street?  2- What is in those bathtubs?  Before someone forced me to realize the answers, I ran away only to still be followed by the coughing guy.  Little India is a shoppers paradise, if you are in the

mood for cheap jeans, luggage and phone cards.  If you are looking for literally anthing else, other than bathtubs, you are in the wrong part of town.  Not to worry though, Little India is only 25

blocks!!!  Seriously, I cannot imagine real India being much bigger, it took forever to get through it.  The one night I acually needed Prashant around to try and get me a deal with one of his cousins on a phone card he was no where to be found.  You have failed me again Prashant.  I did find that there was one store near the end of Little India that sold Perfume.  Perfume.  You heard me right.  Can no one else see the irony in that?  Maybe its just me.  Anyway, I made it through and only saw 1 7-11...

missed opportunities there in my opinion.  I don't anticipate any returns to Little India in the near future, or big India for that matter, but I will always have the memories of that lovely hour long walk through a third world portion of the city.  That, and whatever disease I am sure to have cought from the guy who followed me around all night coughing and stepping on the backs of my sandals. 

I would like to apologize for all the random paragraphs.  I was under the impression this was my blog and could write how I wanted to, but apparently there are some people who demand paragraphs.  Well here you go!  All the paragraphs you could want!  Your input is greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. You should go Global Business from now on and just ask a lot of rhetorical questions to close each entry. Answer none of them.

    ReplyDelete