Monday, July 9, 2012

Subways

Sadly I do not have much to report tonight, today was not very exciting. I am still trying to get used to the subway system here, and my system I mean giant mess. There is no notion of personal space on these subways, and people do not pay attention to anyone/anything but what they are doing. They push and shove onto the trains in floods, ignoring any and all sings pointing to the opposite. There is barely any room to stand, at least not completely pressed up against a stranger who is not happy about it. I have had more hands on me in this last week than I can remember, and haven't even had to pay for it. Hopefully I can take up the national pastime of pushing women and babies out of the way to make it onto the train before they can even get off.

 I think the best part of my job here, other than talking about/playing sports every day, is teaching my coworkers about the wonders of America. In this day and age, everyone is online so they have a pretty general understanding of what life is like over there. But I take great pleasure in making up situations that don't occur in the states just to gauge their reactions. I also have a problem where I need to imitate the accent of whatever place I am in. (My Boston buddies will remember this well) I have yet to master the Singaporean accent, but luckily my mate Matt is British over here and he is already getting tired of me yelling "For the Queen Matt" during our sport outings. They also cannot believe how many things I find strange over here, because drinking out of plastic bags and KFC serving breakfast is completely normal here. I don't care to live in a world where the Colonel gets up before 10 am.

Alright I am off to bed for tonight, I am sorry there wasn't much to report. I will try to be more social tomorrow.  A special thank you to whoever is sending me anonymous comments about the "slippery balls" in my last post.  I was worried no one would catch on to that, and you did.  Thank you.

1 comment: